Contact Request Box



Phone number



For Landlords: UK Gas Safety RegulationsFor Landlords: UK Gas Safety Regulations

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1994 (as amended) are the most important and most strictly regulated of all the landlord’s obligations. The landlord is responsible for all appliances which includes boilers, fires and cooking appliances. All of these must be tested to ensure that they do not emit toxic gases and that flues are in good condition. All tests must be carried out prior to tenancy and annually thereafter.

Am I A Landlord?

Under the domestic gas section of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1988 a landlord is ‘anyone who rents out a property that they own under a lease that is shorter than seven years or under a license.’

If your lease is for longer than seven years or is for life then you are not responsible for gas safety checks and maintenance.

However, if there is an implied tenancy agreement such as accommodation is provided due to your job then it is expected that you carry out duties for gas safety.

As a general rule, the landlord and agency are responsible for gas safety and maintenance checks under any circumstances, such as subletting or shared ownership. However it is important to read the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1994 (as amended) to ensure you are certain of your legal obligations.

What Are My Duties?

As a landlord you are responsible for the safety of your tenants. This involves checking all gas appliances and having them tested prior to tenancy and then annually thereafter. The gas appliances, fittings and flues should all be tested by a Gas Safe registered engineer and good practice dictates the demonstration of regular, annual maintenance checks and subsequent checks.

Other responsibilities involve ensuring an annual gas safety check is carried out within 12 months of the installation of a new appliance/flue (and annually thereafter) by a Gas Sage registered engineer. A record of these safety checks must be kept for up to two years and your tenants should be issued a copy within twenty eight days of the check being completed. Furthermore, any new tenants should be issued copies of past checks and safety regulations before they move in.

What Gas Appliances Are My Responsibility?

All gas appliance that have been bought and provided to the tenants by you are your responsibility. If the tenant has brought their own appliances you are responsible for any fittings and installation necessary, but not for the appliance itself. In regards to appliances owned by tenants there are certain measures that you can practice to ensure complete safety. Firstly you can send reminders to the tenants each year when their appliances are due a service by a Gas Safe engineer. Secondly, when you begin the tenancy you can advise your tenant on any flues or chimneys that are unsuitable for the installation of a gas appliance to discourage any accidents. Finally it is recommended to include all the flues that are connected to gas appliances within the landlord’s gas safety check that you will be providing your tenants with.

Do I Need To Use A Gas Safe Registered Engineer?

Only an engineer that is registered as Gas Safe should be used to complete gas work for maintenance and safety check on gas equipment that you own or provide for tenants use. It is advised that you check the registered engineer is competent to work in that specific area of gas.

It is important to note that the Gas Safe Register has no control over the amount an engineer charges to carry out any safety checks. To ensure you are being offered the best price, obtain three different quotes from separate engineers before hiring somebody.

You can check that an engineer is qualified to undertake a gas safety check in your area by asking to see their ID card, which all registered engineers are required to carry with them.

What Should I Do If I Smell Gas?

If you have any suspicions that there could be a breach in gas safety you must immediately call the National Grid’s Gas Emergency Freephone number (0800 111 999), open all the doors and windows to the house and shut off the gas supply at the meter control valve.

It is illegal to continue using a gas appliance if you believe there is a chance it could be unfit for use.

If you are experiencing problems with your boiler or just need some advice about gas safety, give Home Cure a call Freephone on 0800 002 9991. Check out our gas services here.